Reading Group Resources
Book Club Private Tour with author Jonelle Patrick (6:48)
Explore the fashion world of Lolitas, Princess Gals, and people who dress like their favorite anime figures, then pay a visit to a maid cafe and tour some of the real places in Nightshade.
Inside Tokyo's Fashion Cults (4:11)
Take a closer look at Tokyo's fashion cults – Lolitas, Princess Gals, Kimono Hime & cosplayers – and understand why they dress the way they do
Reading Group Discussion Questions
• Who do you think is happier – people who have arranged marriages or people who choose for themselves?
• If you had an arranged marriage, what would you expect of your partner? Would your expectations be different than if you married for love?
• How would your life be different if your parents had chosen your marriage partner for you when you were in your mid-twenties? Who would you be married to now?
• Why do you think women dress like Lolitas? Do you think those needs are universal, or just in Japan? What kinds of “masks” do people in your own culture wear?
• If your child was being bullied in school and the school/authorities couldn’t do anything about it, what would you do?